6.2.10

The more the merrier : Plus on est de fou, plus on rit

This week went by fairly fast, and now I only have one week before I have a two week vacation!! :) On Monday Michel left for the week to ski in the mountains with a group and a guide. Tuesday I had a half day of school because all the teachers had a meeting to discuss the school reforms that are in the middle of being changed. I am not sure what they are, but Claire told me that they (if they pass) will greatly affect the kids going into highschool next year. Tuesday was also the Catholic holiday of Chandleur, which is when they eat crepes. So, Claire left me the recipe and I made the batter that afternoon and then we all ate savory and sweet crepes for dinner. I had always thought it would be way too hard to flip them because I thought they would stick to the pan, but they were very easy to cook! Wednesday I had math and then swimming. Its amazing how many kids get doctors permission to get out of swimming! Then I didnt have dance in the afternoon because my dance teacher was sick. Thursday was long:) and Friday was short! Our history teacher was absent, so I got out at 3:00pm, but my friends got out at 4:00pm because they have another language class (Spanish or Italian) they asked me to come back at 4:00 and take the bus home with them. So I took the bus to Montchat and walked to the post office and bought some stamps, then walked back along the bus route to the school, but decided to take some side streets because Avenue Lacassagne has a lot of traffic, and I had seen it all before (usually twice a day). I got a little lost and then found Ave. Lac. again and decided to stick to it since I was a little late. I made it in time, and we all took the bus back again, and then I went to the bank with Laurie. We made plans to go to the movie Invictus, and then I went home. I was walking out the door to meet Laurie that night when Michel got home. When I got to Lauries appartment, we had to wait for her brother to get home because he had forgotten his key and her mom had gone to see a play at a theater. Then we took a bus and tram to the movie theater. We got there too late and it was sold out. We took the bus back to her house. We borrowed a movie from Lauries friend (The Hangover, which strangely enough is ''translated'' into French as A Very Bad Trip, which is not actually in French...) then we made jello that I brought which my parents had sent me for Christmas and then watched the movie. In the morning we had jello for breakfast and chocolate cereal in chocolate milk :) Yum! Then I walked home through the Montchat market and sat through lunch with Michel and Laura, though didnt eat anything because I had just eaten breakfast. Michel had bought these pastries called Bugne which are made just around the holiday of Chandleur and are very Lyonnaise. They are good, and Michel asked me if I wanted to learn how to make ones that are 10x better...how could I say no to that?? :) So in two weeks I will be spending the afternoon at his parents house while his mother teaches me to make them! Also another food item (I know I talk about food a lot here, as Aunt Patti pointed out to me :), but it is a very big part of their culture, and mine too!! :) ) so I just made a cheesecake for Marie-Pierre and Aliane who will be coming over this evening before they leave for Paraguay to see Victor. They told me they really love cheesecake and carrot cake, so I hope it will turn out good, they dont have cream cheese here, so I mixed two types of cream cheese-type cheeses. Tomorrow is Théos birthday and we are going to eat what we ate for my birthday (the hot plate in the middle of the table, with different types of meat we choose, cook ourselves and eat with different types of sauces) and Claire has to work all day so I am going to make the sauces and a dessert.
Other news, the weather has been rainy, though it usually rains at night, and then is cloudy during the day. It is supposed to be warming up this week about 8-10 degrees Celsius, which is about 50 degrees Fahrenheit. For the vacation, we are going to Champagny for a week, Paris for three days, and then the rest of the time in Lyon. Tomorrow is officially the half way mark of my trip, because at the AFS weekend the head lady told me we leave Lyon on the 10th of July, though she told me she will check to make sure. As of now, I am glad I decided to stay for a whole year, I have realised how many great experieces I have already had, and cant believe I have another 5 months of similar experiences ahead of me.

2 comments:

  1. hi Erin, Although we miss you, I think this is a great experience as well for you. Mimi Fayolle sent a thank you card (which you addressed?) and some pictures of you in Champagne that were really cute. She signed it "Fayolle, Mother of Claire" So I think she was kddingly referring to my card when I didn't know her name! There is another box on its way to you with just a few things so we hope it gets to you before you take off. Love mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comments about your stay and French life. We all feel like we have been there with you and I for one can hardly wait to go back with you as our guide. I love trying to pronounce the French word of the week. AB

    ReplyDelete