12.10.09

No Title


The Saone River


Cheese!!!! (again :) ) The yellow blocks in the top right are Comte!!


This is the Velo'v bike system is Lyon. To use, you scan a
card in the machine at right, take a bike, and drop it off at
one of the other 200 stations in Lyon!!








This is the Saone Market on the Saone River
Saturday afternoon, my host dad, Laura and I went to a museum and walked through two parts. The first was an art exhibit, the artists were children and adults who are mentally slow. Most of the paintings were very well done, to my standards I guess, but I am not really an artists. Then we walked through an exhibit which chronicled the French resistance of WWII and Hitler. It was very interesting, but long. The picture discriptions and articles were in French and English. I started reading them in French, and then in English, just to see if I understood, but then I got too tired, and just read them in English. After the museum, we met up with Claire outside of a movie theater and saw a movie called Mères et Filles (= Mothers and Daughters). It was about a young woman deciding what to do about her pregnancy, while her mother found out the truth about her parents separating during her childhood. At the end of the movie, neither of the problems were resolved, it was a completely different ending than you might have seen in the US. After the movie, we went to an Italian restaurant where I ordered noodles with a red sauce, cheese, and vegetables, and panna cotta with red fruit coulis for dessert.

Sunday we went to a larger market, called the Marché de Saone (Saone is one of the two rivers that run through Lyon, the other is the Rhone). It had all the same stands as the Monchat market on one side of the river, and then on the other, it had material goods, like paintings, jewelry, and clothing. Claire had a friend who had a painting table set up, so we met him, and she got a painting that she had previously picked out from his collection. After walking around the market for a couple hours, Laura, Claire and I had lunch at a restaurant. I had a Salade Lyonnais which consisted of green lettuce, lardon (similar to bacon), croutons, and two partially cooked eggs on top. It was really good. Then we ate ice cream at a glacier (ice cream shop). After that, we went back home. Later that afternoon, Laurie and her two friends (one named Sarah, and the other I forgot her name) came over and I gave them a tour of the house, then we walked to a park, and then back to Sarahs appartment for a snack (Sarah lives on the same street I do).

Today in school, I got a math test back. I got a 2/20 :). Not good, but still better than my Chemistry and Physics test! My French teacher was back today, unfortunately, and I handed in my petit reduction (small essay). Tomorrow I have a test in History and Geography, so I have been studying for that..though it is hard to read my notes because half the words are spelled wrong!
I have two weeks left until a two week vacation from school!!

4 comments:

  1. The picture captions look like they're in the right place from my end. That bike system looks really cool- we should have those in the U.S.! And you mean two weeks until you go to ROME???? : D

    ReplyDelete
  2. They may be in the right place, but they are kind of hard to read, no? YESSSSSSS two weeks until I go to my third country!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie " ERIN This is very exciting, we were just at a presentation from 2 men from Oslo who created those bike racks, they are just older than Seth and I, ! How funny, two pictures of the same bikes in 1 week."

    Seth says, " I went to the same market on the river, and I have a picture of me and a Japanese friend in front of that bridge."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie and Seth: That is super cool! I have been trying to get a card so I can use them, because of the on and off bus strikes, but havent had the time. The market is really cool, I liked how it was on both sides of the river. Food on one side and material goods on the other:)Its cool how you can be in the same place someone else was just at a different time, because the world is so big!

    ReplyDelete