6.11.09

No more vacation

These past two days have seemed super long. 8:00am to 6:00pm both days, but now the weekend is here!
Thursday I took a SVT test I didnt know I was going to have, so Im pretty sure the grade it horrible. I got my French test back, I got a 7/20, not bad...:). I played with the liver of a pig in SVT with Laurie. Today I learned about the indigenous people of Australia and Canada and how the government treated them a long time ago (they took half caste and quarter caste children from their families for 'their own good') in English. I had two and a half hours of physics and chemistry which, if you ask me, is WAAAAAAAAY too long, I have a really hard time sitting still and pretending to be interested in what the teacher is talking about, especially during physics because I dont know anything about that subject. My history-geography teacher is back too! No more beaver!:) She told us why she was gone for so long: she was really sick and was in the hospital to get two organs (not sure which ones) surgically removed. Even though she went through all of that, and doesnt look like she feels really great, she is still really nice and I think she is my favorite teacher.
I have sort of been slacking on my promise to recount the food we have been eating (because it is such a large part of the culture). The truth is, we dont always eat something homemade or new, so I stopped for a while because I didnt want to keep repeating things. So, my host mom will sometimes buy frozen couscous at Carrefour (the large walmart store, which she recently told me she detests because its so large and hard to find things in:) ) or frozen brocoli or celery purée, which sounds disgusting, but is really good when heated up and spread on bread.
In Italy we ate a LOT of pasta and pizza. That was pretty much the main thing the restaurants served, though you could definitely find meat, I prefered ordering different types of pasta, and because I dont speak Italian, it was always a surprise to see what I ordered. Though it was all very good. I was somewhat disappointed because I think Rome and Florence have such a great population of tourists, there are a lot of tourist fast-food places, and the real Italian home-cooked-meal places are a little more difficult to find.
Back here, we have been eating pretty much the same, lots of lapin (rabbit:( ), llooots of bread, the other night my host mom made a pot of smooshed squash which was very good, poulet (chicken), salad, cheese. Also, the school where my host mom works has a special program for kids who want to cook, so every now and then, she will buy something of what they have made and bring it home for us to eat. Tonight it was a tarte au pommes (apple pie), though they have also made quiche and other dishes.
Tomorrow I am going to a museum and bowling with other AFSers. I am excited to see them again, but not excited to be getting up at 6:30 am on a Saturday morning. Its almost 10:00pm now, so I should really go to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment