30.11.09

Thanksgiving and week before

OKay, so I have been super busy and havent found time to write, actually j'ai eu la flemme (I was too lazy:) )
Friday (the 18th) I went to New Moon with Olivia and Justine and two other girls I dont really know. Here they call it Twighlight 2 or Tentation. It was in English with French subtitles. Then on Saturday I woke up early to go the the small Montchat market with Claire (I also realised a couple days ago I have been spelling it Monchat, when its really Montchat..oops!) I really like the market because everything is fresh and its like a little piece of the country in the middle of a big city:) That night Michel and Claire went to a party and Laura and I stayed home and ate a dinner of ravioli (but with the flower of a courgette (zucchini) in the middle) freshly bought from the market that morning, and watched the Davinci Code (in English because Laura had never seen it and wanted to understand it). Sunday morning I wrote a french essay on the life in Alaska, and then we (Claire, Michel, Laura and I) picked up Claires mother and drove to a small town called Anthon to eat lunch at a restaurant that serves grenouille (frog). It wasnt bad, but we ate off the bones and there were bones of the frogs spine and that was a little gross. Other than that it was good, the restaurant was the Rhone river, thought the scenery wasnt extremely beautiful because the day was pretty grey.
Monday I had three classes and then went to Lauries house to eat lunch. We started to watch Seven Pounds (an American movie with Will Smith) but it stopped working about half an hour in. So we watched tv and talked and Anne Sophie came over after a little while.
Tuesday, there was supposed to be a teacher/student strike so some of our teachers didnt show up, but we were prewarned. Early Tuesday morning someone sent out a mass text saying there were riotors in front of the school, but we I got there with Ingrid and Chloé, nobody was there. It was dissapointing:( Because 2 of my teachers werent there, I ended up having 3 hours for lunch, so Ingrid Chloé and I came back to my house and ate lunch and then went over to play a game at Ingrids house (she lives on the same street as me) which is similar to the Wii, but she left the camera thing in her moms car, so we played babyfoot (fooseball) until it was time to go back to school.
Wednesday I had four hours of school and then came home for lunch. After that, Michel left to visit a friend who is sick near Marseille. I went to the store and bought some things for Thanksgiving. Though I ended up making evaporated milk and puréing my own pumpkin for pumpkin pie. It turned out good though, I am eating a piece right now:) Then I went to dance class and we finished learning the dance to Men In Black and started another one. I have never seen Men In Black, so I think I should probably watch it soon!
On Thursday, I had school, but my Chem-Physics teacher was absent so I ate a kebab with Ingrid and Alexys. A kebab here is not the same as in America. Or at least not what my vision of a kebab is. I think of a long wooden skewer with meat, cheese, maybe fruit poked onto it. Here, a kebab it a ginormous pita pocket filled with lettuce, onions, tomatos, and shredded meat. Then we went to Ingrids house and played the Wii-like game. It was cool because the camera (she had forgotten the other day) hooked onto the tv and then we appeared on the tv and played in the games! Then I called my parents because it was Thankgiving morning in Alaska!! They told me they had just gotten snow, while here there is no chance of snow for a very longgggggggggggg time. Normally it snows once or twice a winter here, though someone told me that it didnt snow at all last winter! Luckily I am going into the Alps for Christmas, so there will be snow there! It was strange going to bed knowing my family was going to be celebrating Thankgiving soon, and then wake up and know that it was over. It was like I had missed the whole thing twice; once by not physically being there, and again by not being awake while it was going on!
Friday I had a full day of school and then I went to buy sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner, because I hadnt had any luck finding yams. I went to a small épicerie (veggie and Fruit shop, I think) and asked for sweet potatoes. The lady then asked me if they were for Thanksgiving. I told her yes (though a little confused, because no one here celebrates Thanksgiving) and that I am American. She then laughed and said 'I know!!'...I had forgotten about my accent:)
Saturday I pretty much cooked all day:) Though Claire helped me a lot! I made the pies first thing in the morning (pecan, pumpkin, and chocolate cream). For the crust, I used all butter, because apparently shortening doesnt exist in France, so they gave me a little trouble, but they were fine in the end. Then I made stuffing (farce in French), sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, mashed potatoes and gravy (which was not lumpy fyi Uncle John!:) ), the turkey of course, rolls, and cranberry sauce. Everyone really LOVED the rolls, they thought it was hillarious we eat bread that doesnt really have a crust on it! We ate at 9:30 pm because when I told Claire we normally eat Thanksgiving dinner at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, she said non, non c'est pas possible! (no, no thats not possible!) Haha, no one ever eats dinner here before 8 pm. Justine, Ingrid, Anne Sophie, Chloé, and the god-mothers of Victor and Théo ate dinner with us, and we finnished at about 11:30! It was very differnt than in Alaska, but a good experience. Though next year, I will be extremely happy to make some pies and be done!!
Sunday (yesterday) I slept in til 11 and then tried to understand my math homework (barycenters, and now derivitives) but I didnt get very far. Then we ate a lunch of leftovers and biked to an art exposition. It was of dinner ware, jewelry, furniture, baby clothes, just lots of random booths. They had some cool stuff, but everything was really expensive. Then we biked to a movie theater and watched Vincere which was about the first wife of Mussolini. It was all in Italian with French subtitles. It was easier to understand with the subtitles in French, than with just people speaking in French because I could read the words and look at the actors' actions and pretty much understand the entire story. Then we came home (though it was raining so Claire picked us up with Michels car) and ate dinner in front of the tv and watched another movie. Though this one was not as serious; Le Diable S'habille en Prada (The Devil Wears Prada) :)
Today I went to school for four hours and then came home and ate a lunch of Thanksgiving leftovers with Laurie because she really wanted to eat Thanksgiving food but wasnt able to come on Saturday. Then we watched part of Seigneur des Anneaux (Lord of the Rings). We now have less than three weeks until vacances de Noel (Christmas vacation)!

No comments:

Post a Comment