27.9.09

Sunday: definitely not a day of rest.

Today (sunday) was a tough day. But I will start with Saturday:)
Yesterday, Laura and I went with Claire to finally get our school books, though I am not sure why that makes me happy because I cant understand them, and they will make my bag heavier! The store didnt have all of the books I need, so weirdly enough, the worker asked for my cell phone number and will apparently text me when my books are in...? That seems a little bizzare. Since the bus strike has been happening on and off, Claire decided we should drive. Everyone else seemed to have that idea too, because it took us about 1 hour to get to Place Bellecour and another to get home. That journey, by bus and metro, usually takes 10 minutes! Saturday night, Claire and Michel threw another party, but for a different group of their friends. These friends all had sons that are friends with Victor. The party was tiring. It is very hard to concentrate when someone is speaking rapidly in a language you dont fully comprehend, asking questions about where you are from, etc, when you are already tired. I dont know why, but even when I dont do much during the day, I am still pooped by 7:00 pm, and here the parties dont even start until 8:30! Oh also, Claire and Michels friends were very astonished to learn that AK is a real place and that people actually live there:)
So today, Michel decided to take Laura and I bike riding with some of his friends from last night, and a couple others. In total, we were a group of 8. We drove for one hour, to a town called Beaujolais...I think. Then we started biking. At first, it was just steep, but slow on a paved road. Then, we took a dirt trail that had rocks the size of my fist scattered every two inches. We stayed on that trail for 18 KM! In the first half hour I fell down and scraped my knee:( For about half the time we were either going up or down in a 45 degree angle, and boy did they move faaast. This was the most difficult physical activity I have ever done. Not even one of Mrs. Whittingtons running practices can compare. It was probably one of the most dangerous too, because we didnt wear helmets...guess its just the french way:) One more thing, that made it all worth it: the scenery! It was SOOOO beautiful, and I didnt bring my camera:( We were going up and down large hills in the countryside of France. There were farms and chateau's everywhere, vineyards and rows of crops, cows and not many people! On the way back, we took the road because there were people hunting on the path we were planning on taking, and it was down hill for 6 KM straight, I did not touch my petals, which told me how far we had biked uphill! Then the last 3 KM we had to petal a little bit, but not much. We started biking at 10:30 and finished at 3:30 with a 30 minute break for lunch. So, that was my exhausting day!
And tomorrow, I have a math test, which does not bode (sp?) well for me because I still have no idea what math class I am in:)!

2 comments:

  1. Wow- that sounds like it was crazy intense! I'm sad that you weren't able to take pictures. : ( Good luck on your math test- thought it makes me wonder, do you they have extra credit over there? : D Maybe you can make up the points by doing extra work. And BAD GIRL for not wearing your helmet, especially when you fell off once already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beaujolais! Erin you have to ask your family when the wine there comes out, there is big party in the streets, even here in Anchorage it is celebrated at some restaurants! You lucky! Lucky to see the area, not the bike ride, yikes!- Bonnie

    ReplyDelete